Information About Headaches
Although 2020 has forced us to slow down more than usual, we are still no strangers to stress. The majority of people would say that headaches are common. However, we are here to remind you that a headache is a good indicator that your body is missing something. Maybe you need some rest, water, supplements, or change in nutrition!
Headaches can be triggered by many things – stress, fatigue, allergies, eyestrain, poor posture, low blood sugar, hormones, constipation, nutritional deficiencies, etc. But we are here to remind you that our bodies are SO smart! Our body tells us when something needs to change by giving us these signals.
You might be asking yourself, “How do I make my headaches go away?” Well, you’ve come to the right place! We have gathered some top headache relief remedies to help you fight headaches in a natural and healthy way.
What Causes Headaches?
Simply put, headaches occur due to a combination of nerve signals from the blood vessels and muscles in the head. What specifically causes these signals to turn on is still not fully known. Luckily, there are several natural remedies to fight off headaches without the use of medicine.
5 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of a Headache
- First things first! Chiropractic care & posture are huge! Similar to an antioxidant, Chiropractors can reduce oxidative stress in the body. Oxidative stress is the damage that occurs when free radicals out number the body’s antioxidants. To put it simply, chiropractic adjustments help put your body in the best environment. We aim to prep your body to function at optimal levels + respond better to all the stressors in your life!
- Peppermint Essential Oil is our go-to oil for headache relief. Peppermint works wonders for providing a cooling effect on the skin. Furthermore, research shows that peppermint stimulates a significant increase in skin blood flow of the forehead, as well as soothes muscle contractions.
- Magnesium – talk about a true game-changer! Did you know that people who suffer from serious migraines often have low levels of magnesium? Taking 200-600 mg of magnesium daily can reduce the frequency of headache attacks. An easy way to increase your magnesium intake is to eat more fiber. Want to supplement instead? Good thing we sell Standard Process in house!
- Hydration, hydration, hydration! Staying hydrated is the toughest, yet easiest battle for us to win. While we do love a good cup of joe around here, the dehydrating effects of coffee (along with other sugar-y drinks) can certainly leave us with a dreaded headache. Drinking enough water throughout the day is so underrated – which in itself can relieve headache pain and symptoms. We recommend drinking at least half your body weight (in ounces) in water a day + more if you are working out.
- Movement is key! Here’s our tip of the day… never staying in one position for an extended period of time. Especially if you’re working at a desk or computer all day – change it up! In this day & age, the majority of people spend hours upon hours a day hunched over. This position (with your head sticking out), puts an extra 20-30 pounds of pressure on your neck. That’s a lot, right? We like call this “text neck.” To get away from this added pressure + tension… go see your local Chiropractor!
My head has been hurting since the other day, which is why I’m thinking of seeking help from a known chiropractor. I also agree with you that there are essential oils that may help get rid of the pain. Thank you for suggesting the importance of drinking enough water as well.