As the summer months approach many people will be leaving Atlanta and heading to the beach. As much as an advocate I am of traveling and refreshing, it’s important to make sure you are actively caring for your body. So, for this article we’ll discuss how to take care of your spine while traveling.
Easy Steps to Follow
Many of you who have been through our corrective care program would like to not destroy your spine so here are some simple steps to use while being on that plane and sleeping in hotel beds.
1) Before you get to your hotel request a cervical or memory foam pillow. If your hotel does not have this than it is important to bring your own. These pillows help support the neck while sleeping and maintain its proper curvature, especially for those of you who have corrected their spine at our office in Atlanta.
2) Before leaving your house for the airport make sure to drink a bunch of water and bring healthy snacks. When traveling at high altitude our body becomes dehydrated. It’s important to keep our internal system hydrated and well nourished. Airplane food or convenience store food, for those driving, is not “real” food and has usually been created by man. If it has been artificially created then there is a strong likelihood your body does not know how to process this.
3) Bring lacrosse balls or grab Yoga Tune Up balls from our office and sit on them regularly. Place them on your gluteus muscle and make sure it does not get too tight. It will be uncomfortable for a bit but this means that it is working. Also, place those balls on your back while flying on the plane or driving.
4) Personally, when i travel I like to do at least 1 yoga class while on vacation to help stretch my body and improve energy. There is a great free app for your phone called Omfinder, which tells you where and when all the classes are in the location you will be staying and about the class.
Also, check out YogaGlo.com for videos you can do at your hotel while traveling so you don;t have to leave your resort. However, even though it is convenient to not leave your hotel, it is nice to try new yoga classes such as Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga or Yoga On The Beach or in the mountains.
5) Whether traveling by car or plane, please make sure to create movement in your body and either stop to stand up and stretch or walk around the plane to increase circulation.
Where do you plan on traveling this summer?